Monday, July 11, 2011

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective 5-Year-Olds

It recently occurred to me that there’s a lot leaders can learn from 5-year-olds.  For example:
  1. Use what you have – Don’t have a dollhouse?  Use a shoe box!
  2. Don’t be afraid to use stuff in a new way – Ignore that nice stable mommy bought you for your toy horses, make your own using a bead necklace.
  3. Be insatiably curious – Enough said.
  4. Make time to play – As Mary Poppins taught us, the potential for fun lurks where you least expect it.
  5. Always be closing – Children are born negotiators.  It never hurts to ask.  And ask again.  And again.  
  6. Shake it off – So you got egg all over the kitchen counter, that shouldn’t stop you from knowing you can break the eggs perfectly next time.
  7. Don’t stereotype or judge – Everyone is a potential friend, playmate or someone to help you paint your wall with fingernail polish.
And one bonus habit:

Be in the moment - The place is here.  The time is now.

8 comments:

  1. Here is my addition: When you're really disappointed about something, pitch a fit. You will get to take a nap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh - a nap. Definitely worth pitching a fit for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect. I won't over-complicate my comment by expounding. 5 year olds get it, adults forget it. Glad to have discovered your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful, succinct blog that is SO true and made me smile - thanks!

    I'd add that: it's impossible not to have a degree of mess before success. (It would be great if adults could appreciate that mess should be celebrated and not condemned)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great advice! That ability to "be in the moment" can be the key to a successful..and sane life. I always ask my female clients if they feel like today’s Wonder Woman – the woman who has so much going on she wonders what the heck happened to her life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excelent article . I completely agree with that.
    A good site. My appreciation to you for you good efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post and thank you for sharing this nice experience,
    and hope you can give another posts as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good site! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I'm wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...