Friday, July 29, 2011

No Comment

Dave Ryan and I were chatting the other day about how our recent project social topics have generated lots of new traffic but little in the way of comments so we decided our next PS topic would be, ‘Why do I comment?’  

Of course, we don’t know if our reasons for commenting are the same as yours but we're both so typical they probably are. 

So here’s why I comment:

1.    Your post made me laugh or struck a chord
2.    I’m letting you to know I stopped by
3.    I have an alternative point of view
4.    I recently blogged about the exact same thing
5.    I thought of the perfect one-liner

And here’s why I don’t:

1.    I can’t think of a darn thing to say
2.    I’m not sure what your point is
3.    Leaving a comment requires a password
4.    Your post is too long

Anything ring a bell?

You can check out what Dave Ryan has to say about commenting over at HR Official.

10 comments:

  1. All true, and of course,"I've commented on your post before with no response or thanks"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    You've brought up several good reasons why people post comments. As a blogger I enjoy it immensely when readers do so. Sometimes the comments are better than the blog post. You can have some interesting discussion threads occur. Or they can turn nasty. I know news sites have this problem and often turn to moderators to weed out spambots and rude contributors.

    Regardless of the reasons if you enjoy blogging then keep at it! Oftentimes people won't comment but the post may still resonate with them. As long as they take something away from it then you've accomplished something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely an interesting question. No doubt for many blogs and posts including simple and prominent social sharing buttons has served to reduce comment volume. Why click 'add a comment', enter your name, email address, then your comment, if you can at least indicate to the author that you enjoyed the post by the one or two click sharing process. It would be a good experiment sometime to see if making social sharing harder would actually increase blog comments, but then again, perhaps some readers would be angry that they could not easily share the post on Twitter or Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great point! It's so much easier to tweet than it is to comment...

    I enjoy comments as much as the next person but also appreciate when people visit and read, whether or not they leave a trail.

    I love my lurkers! Whoever the heck you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to say its all authentic ... .. ..
    Vertical Jump Bible

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along.
    I think I will leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading.
    Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue.
    Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really love the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very great article.Simply wow!!! You folks has a great and information.good work
    Keto BodyTone

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...